If you were not able to join us for our first Pick Your Own Strawberry Festival last Saturday, you missed a fantastic day out: people from all over came to enjoy a beautiful sunny day and fill their punnets and trugs with the most delicious organic Daylesford strawberries.
You can still join us for another more Pick Your Own Strawberry Festival in our Market Garden at Daylesford Farm on 11th July, from 10am – 4pm. Joining in is free, you will just need to pay for what you pick at the Market (£4 per kilo, cash only please at the field scales).
Our top tips for strawberry picking:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes which won’t matter if they get strawberry stains on them. Wearing a hat and sun cream is a good idea too – there’s no escaping the sun in the market garden
- Look deep into the plant and brush leaves to one side – often the best fruits are hidden from view!
- Before picking, turn the strawberry around to check it’s ready with no white patches and check for bruising and blemishes. Pick only the ones that are bright red and firm for full-flavoured, longer lasting berries.
- Twist your strawberries off the vine rather than pulling them. Be gentle, strawberries bruise and scar easily.
- If a strawberry is putting up some resistance to being picked, it’s not ripe, leave on the bush for someone else another day.
- Don’t be afraid of strawberries in weird shapes and sizes – they will still taste wonderful!
- Don’t cram your containers, no more than two layers is ideal. And we know not all the strawberries will make it into your punnet and that’s fine; one of the joys of picking your own is sampling the fruits straight from the bush. Just don’t get stomachache!
- Bring a camera or your smartphone to capture a memorable summer’s day out. Share your favourites with us on social media and tag @daylesfordfarm!